Rosie Survived the Weekend from Hell

If there is such a thing as the weekend from hell, Rosie has just been through it. This sweet donkey girl joined our sanctuary family late last year. Here is the account of events as they unfolded beginning on Friday, March 2nd.



We found sweet Rosie in pain in her stall this morning. Called the emergency vet and guess what!? She is having a baby! We had no idea. Rosie is way too small, too young, and crippled. At this point, we can only hope all goes well. We only know she must have experienced cramps this morning. She received an injection to help with the pain.

above: the veterinarian intern falls in love with Rosie and has her picture taken with her.



Rosie is going into labor. A large stall with soft thick straw is prepared for her. The night is forecasted to have temps around freezing. I have no plans to leave poor Rosie alone and make myself a bed of straw in the corner of her stall.

above: Rosie comes over to me as I sit on the floor.



Around 6 am we still have no baby. At this point I am certain that the baby inside her is no longer alive. What unfolded thereafter was posted in an update on our facebook page as the following message:

“Unfortunately, she was not able to give birth to a healthy foal. What we thought was the initiation on the birthing process was in fact her body’s attempt at aborting a large fetus. The emergency vet came this morning and was able to remove the dead baby from her body. The little baby boy was subsequently buried on the farm in our cemetery area. He looked beautiful despite not being fully developed. His name would have been ‘Harley’ had he lived. He weighed approx. 9 pounds. About one hour after the vet left, it was discovered that Rosie had prolapsed. This means she had pushed her entire uterus out allowing the intestines to come out into the open with it. The emergency vet was called back. The sight of it was so dramatic that we were certain she would have to be put down. However, the vet explained that this is quite common in cattle and fixable. So, she was sedated and after the spilled intestine and uterus had been examined for possible tears all was manually put back in place. A few temporary stitches were places to keep everything in. Medication was given to help her shrink her uterus back to normal size and stop pushing along with antibiotics and oxytocin. As of the time of this writing, Rosie is a little shaky but has appetite and walks around her large stall. The vet will be back tomorrow morning. She needs LOTS of healing thoughts and prayers right now and maybe also one for beautiful ‘Little Harley’ who will never be with us in person but perhaps he can be in spirit.”

above: RIP beautiful ‘Little Harley’.



The vet came back out this morning to check on Rosie and was very pleased with her condition so far. She gets some more antibiotic and also a tetanus booster. We decide to leave the stitches in place for one week. While there are still some pieces of the placenta inside her that should come out, we cannot risk removing the stitches too soon and have her push everything back out again. She would surely not survive this a second time around.



Rosie is ok but very tired. We are adding an anti-inflammatory medication to her feed. Otherwise, she seems to be in good spirits.



She was outside with her friend Pearl today all day and was even seen to do a couple of her ‘happy kicks’. Her rate of recovery is astounding. We have moved her back into her normal stall which she seemed very happy about. Here she is lounging a bit on her thick soft straw bed. She looks so bright and beautiful.


WEDNESDAY (one week later)

Rosie has been doing extremely over the last 7 days. Today the vet was out one more time to check on her and to remove her stitches. He was very happy with her condition.

We feel so blessed we have all gotten through this nightmare and are ready to move on. Thank you to everybody who sent her well wishes and prayers!



Leave a Reply